If you want to become a sheriff in Charlotte, you ought to know a few things first.
Featured Programs and Schools
Charlotte is a city and you cannot technically become the sheriff of a city. You can, however, become the sheriff of the county Charlotte is in – Mecklenburg County. Charlotte is the county seat of the Mecklenburg County.
It must further be noted that the position of a sheriff is an elected one, so you will have to contest elections to hold this office. You will also have to wait till the four-year long term of the current sheriff is up and elections are to be held again.
If you think you have what it takes to hold such an esteemed office after winning a majority vote, then the following guide will be of use to you. It lists down the requirements, steps and salary data for the sheriffs in Charlotte.
Requirements to Become a Sheriff in Charlotte
Before getting into the details, you must keep in mind that the following information is generic for the entire state of North Carolina. For specific information about the Mecklenburg County, you will have to get in touch with their information center. Generally speaking, the following requirements would hold:
- Candidates should be citizens of the US
- Candidates need to have attained a minimum age of 18
- Candidate should have a high school diploma or a GED
- Candidate should not have a felony conviction
- Candidate should have an honorable discharge from the military, if applicable
- Candidate should be able to clear an extensive background check
- Candidate should be in strong mental and physical shape, and should be able to prove it through physical agility tests and psychological exams
- Candidate should have a valid driver’s license for the state of North Carolina
- Candidate should be a resident of the county he/she is contesting elections in
Steps to Become a Sheriff in Charlotte
Once you have ensured you satisfy the basic eligibility criteria, you can move on to the actual process of becoming a sheriff in Charlotte
How Much Does a Sheriff Make in Charlotte?
According to the Charlotte Observer, the Sheriff for Mecklenburg County made an annual income of $191,626 in his tenure, which ended with the beginning of the new sheriff’s term in 2018.