If you want to become a sheriff in Detroit, you need to understand a few things first.
Featured Programs and Schools
The position of a sheriff is a county-level concern, so you cannot technically become the sheriff of Detroit. You can, however, become the sheriff of Wayne County, of which Detroit is the county seat. In addition to Detroit, you will also be in-charge of a number of other cities, such as Livonia, Taylor, Plymouth, Garden City and so on.
Being in-charge of such as huge area is no small responsibility. As a sheriff, you will be performing duties such as investigating complaints, patrolling, arresting suspects, executing warrants and resolving disputes etc.
If you are interested in this occupation, you might want to go through the following guide:
Requirements to Become a Sheriff in Detroit
Keep in mind that the following requirements are generally applicable to the entire state of Michigan. For county specific requirements, you might have to get in touch with your local county office.
- Applicant should have attained the minimum age of 18 years
- Applicant should at least have a high school diploma or a GED Certificate
- Candidate ought to have a few years of experience as a police officer to be able to deal with the arduous nature of the job
- Applicant should be in good mental and physical shape to be able to manage the tough job
- Candidate needs to have a driver’s license for the state of Michigan
- Candidate should not have any felony convictions or drug abuse problems
- Applicant must have lived in the Wayne County to be eligible to apply for its sheriff position
- Candidate should have been honorably discharged from the military, if applicable
Steps to Become a Sheriff in Detroit
Once you have ensured that you meet the basic eligibility criteria, set by the Wayne County, you may then begin the following process. Keep in mind though, that the steps listed below are generic in nature. For specific information, you are requested to get in touch with Wayne County’s office.
Check with the Wayne County to see if they have their own training sessions.
You will need multiple years of law enforcement experience before you can become a county sheriff.
Even though this is not mandatory, it is highly recommended.
This would typically include passing a written exam, a background check an oral interview and a physical fitness test.
Make sure you submit a complete application package.
This will be the most integral part of the entire process. Make sure you plan this efficiently.
If you get the most votes, you will be asked to take an oath and become the sheriff of Wayne County
How Much Does a Sheriff Make in Detroit?
Specific salary data for sheriffs in Detroit is not available. However, the salary data for First-Line Supervisors of Police Officers and Detectives may be used here to give you an idea. The annual mean wage for this category was $80,060 in 2018 in Michigan according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.